We’ve had another fun week here at SD, doing our best to bring you interesting tech stories going down in Japan. But in case you missed any of it, here’s a wrap up below. Readers on mobile might want to check them out over on Readlists or in ePub format.
If you’d like to get this weekly summary plus other bonus content, we hope you’ll check out our shiny new newsletter here.
- Niconico Douga: Japanese online video site puts discussion front and center
- Smapo: Can Japan’s answer to Shopkick fend off new competition?
- A fine line: Shantell Martin projects freestyle performance art
- Japan’s Gungho Entertainment is winning at home, but will global gamers get it?
- Japanese reality show will ask contestants to live the Amazon life
- 5 Japanese studios team up to create online anime platform for overseas markets
- Messaging app Line partners with Nokia to accelerate global expansion
- Microsoft rolls out huge teaser ads for Surface tablet in Tokyo
- Gyao and Gree team up to invest in animation content development
- The future of libraries? In Japan, elevated study pods encourage conversation
- Japanese startup turns oversized greeting cards into an unlikely digital business
- Ewww! Japanese ear-picking mobile game hits 1 million downloads
- Wind Runner: The latest Line game to hit number 1 in Japan’s App Store [Video]
- CyberAgent joins the mobile chat app war with Decolink
- Korea’s beSuccess holds startup competition in Tokyo, winner moves on to Seoul for main event
- Samurai Incubate exhibits fun new startups and ideas in Tokyo
- Tokyo Otaku Mode keeps improving its manga photo app [Video]